Tuesday, March 3, 2009

frenectomy




A frenum is a fold of tissue or muscle that connects the lips, cheek or tongue to the jawbone. A frenectomy is a procedure to remove one of these folds of tissue.




Sometimes a frenum is attached between the two upper front teeth. This can be removed with a labial frenectomy. This condition usually is noticed in children after their permanent upper front teeth have come in. Sometimes it is evident even before the baby teeth come in. If the frenum is attached too far down on the gum, it can create a space between the two front teeth. Even if an orthodontist closes the gap, the frenum can push the teeth apart again. The frenum also can be attached in such a way that it prevents the baby teeth from coming in. In this case, the condition would be noticed sooner.
I really like our new dentist, but when he said this will be no big deal- maybe I shouldn't have taken it so lightly. We are home from the dentist and it was quite the ordeal.

6 comments:

Kelsie said...

Wow--crazy! I hope she's doing OK! Just today, my friend sent me this YouTube video that I thought was so funny--and maybe it applies. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqiwrbYGrs

currierRus said...

Hope Cass is feeling better. Doesn't sound like much fun. I remember having to have that cord cut between my front teeth too as a kid. Not a fun day!

Lindsey said...

What a sweetheart. I hope she recovers very, very quickly! I am glad that you like your dentist, although I still personally HATE any mouth procedure.

christine said...

I hope Cass is feeling okay and it wasn't too traumatic. Tell her we hope she feels better soon. Avery fell in the pantry a few months ago and cut her frenulum completely. I had no idea it was this at the time and was freaked out cause blood was pouring out and Avery had a big hole under her lip. My dentist is just down the road so I took her in, and he said Avery actually did herself a favor and saved herself from surgery later. I guess we were lucky-now even more that it didn't go so well for Cass. Look forward to seeing you in April-we will definitely have to plan something fun!

Amy said...

Oh Lace- That picture breaks my heart. Tell cass we have been thinking about her

Natalie said...

Ouch poor thing. That 2nd picture kills me, she looks miserable. Hope she's feeling better.